Halfway

Sorry for the lack of activity lately. I hit a snag of exams and didn't have time to update, and then they just kept coming. I thought it was all going to be fine after that second week in February, but the next week there was a paper and oral exam in French, then a midterm in French, and now there's this week, where I just finished my rousing round of three tests in 18 hours (that includes sleep). I think (hope?) they went well, but you never know.

In terms of yarn stuff, I was working on something super-secret for almost the whole month of February. I can't show you any pics now, but I should be able to in a month or so. In the meantime, enjoy this lovely dishcloth:



Pattern: EXFOLIATE!
Yarn: Lily Sugar 'n Cream Twists, Taupe

Because really, who doesn't love a good Dalek?

I've also been working on Gail:


I'm at 50% yarn wise, and 7/10 pattern repeats (before edging) in. So, I'm at that stage when you think you only have a little bit left to go, but it's really a ton because of the whole rows-that-take-an-hour thing. *sigh*

And then there's the spinning...


All are a 2-ply light fingering (~17wpi), around 50-55yds each.

The colorways, from left to right:
Sunshine
Miami
Springtime Dandelions
Bear Cut
Dustland Fairytale

All were spun on my Turkish, which sadly had its shaft snap in an awkward place. However, because it's a Turkish, I was still able to spin on it because the cop doesn't depend on the shaft, but on the arms. So, now it's a midget spindle. It's actually quite convenient for travel (aka throwing in my backpack to go to class) because it's so compact, so I don't have to worry about the shaft snapping.

However, I did get a new spindle:


It's a SpinZone top whorl, made out of Israel Olive wood. It comes in at a whopping 0.8oz, but I love it. I only wish it had a notch, but it still spins great. I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through the first single of a 3-ply I'm spinning out of the roving pictured. It's turning out much more subdued (aka less pink) than I originally thought, which is fine by me. My original aim with this roving was green and brown with subtle hints of pink, so the overwhelming pinkness that resulted wasn't exactly pleasing. I'd much rather have the pinkish gray that's resulting instead.

Well, I've still got two (really 1.5) lab reports to do for tomorrow, then some math, then some physics, so I really ought to be going. Really, the week's only half over. If I can get to Thursday, it's smooth sailing (oh, and spring break) from there.
Posted by Picasa