Carrots and Oatmeal

We have a plethora of bread in our refrigerator. We have bagels (not real bagels - grocery store bagels. Real bagels don't exist in Miami), english muffins, tortillas, whole wheat bread, and beer bread. Despite this, I felt the need to make bread. Mostly because we didn't have any sort of white bread. I like whole wheat bread, but there are some things that it just doesn't taste as good with whole wheat (in contrast, there are some things that taste a gazillion times better with whole wheat, and should only be made with it).

I had previously made King Arthur Flour's Classic Sandwich Bread, which is very good, but I wanted something a little different. I have a ton of quick oats in the pantry (which are being neglected due to my switch to crock-pot steel cut oats), so I decided to make oatmeal bread. The recipe was King Arthur Flour's Oatmeal Toasting & Sandwich Bread.

This picture was taken about an hour after it was taken out of the oven:



It's at least half gone. It should be gone within 24 hours. Probably. And then I'll make another loaf.

Yes. It's that good. I highly recommend.

For dinner, I pulled out one of my favorite recipes from home: Carrot Patties. It's wondrous and delicious, but requires a food processor unless you really want to shred two cups of carrots by hand.

Carrot Patties
5 medium carrots or 2 cups shredded carrots
1 small onion
3 Tbs flour
2 Tbs cornmeal
2 eggs
2 Tbs milk
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp pepper (roughly equal to a few turns of a pepper grinder)
2 Tbs butter
1 Tbs veggie oil

Shred the carrots in the food processor. Note that '5 medium carrots' is roughly equal to about three of the carrots in the bags at the grocery store. I shredded '5 medium carrots' from this bag of carrots in the food processor, and ended up with 4 cups. Anyway, finely chop or mince the onion. Again, you can do this in the food processor. I was lame and forgot about this (the food processor is new), but it makes things so much easier. Beat the eggs, lightly. Add everything except the butter and oil to a bowl, and mix to combine.

Form in to patties (they should be the size of normal burger patties). Put on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the fridge for at least an hour (they can be in the fridge for up to 12 hours). Yes, the liquid parts are going to be dripping everywhere, and it won't really feel like you're making patties, but rather, flattish piles of carrots and onions, but that's how it's supposed to be.



After the patties are chilled, put the butter and oil in a 10" heavy skillet, and heat until sizzling (aka good enough for frying). Add patties.




Cook for about 5 minutes each side, until they're blackened/dark browned. They are quite fragile, but if they fall apart when flipping, just sort of push them back together again. They'll taste good regardless. Mine were actually quite sturdy today, despite my momentary panic that all the binder was leaking out of them.

When they're done cooking, plate on a plate with lots of paper towel to drain.




Enjoy the yumminess. These things are one of my favorite side dishes from home, and I feel mightily empowered to have the recipe and ability to make them for myself now.

At some point, I was going to post my mom's infamous chocolate chip muffins, but we ate them all too fast for them to be photographed. Next time I make them, I'll post the recipe, I promise.

This recipe was originally posted in Food Digest.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd appreciate it if you'd leave a comment with the Name/URL setting rather than anonymous - thanks!