Craving Raisins

So, along the lines of my last post, I was craving raisins all last week. Really, specifically in the form of oatmeal-raisin cookies, but any form of raisin would do. Friday night, I was originally going to do lentils with garlic and onions, but that wasn't feeling right when it came time to make dinner.

I wanted raisins.

And then I remembered that raisins go really well in curry, so I decided to go with a lentil-raisin curry. An Internet search turned up nothing, so I decided to go with a lentil curry recipe and add raisins to it. Well, I found one that sort of worked, so I modified it to what I had in the fridge. And the fact that we don't have any curry powder at the moment. It turned out quite well.



Raisin-Lentil Curry
1 cup dry lentils
3 cups water
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped potato
1/4 cup raisins
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Combine lentils and water - bring to boil. Lower heat to simmer & add remaining ingredients. Cover and let simmer 45 min, stirring occasionally and adding more [boiling] water if necessary. Serve over white rice (though yogurt rice would go quite well with this).
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd appreciate it if you'd leave a comment with the Name/URL setting rather than anonymous - thanks!