Crêpes

This morning, I was at a loss as to what to have for breakfast. Jen was making some shortcut pumpkin rolls (think cinnamon rolls with a pumpkin filling instead of cinnamon), but both the filling and the frosting for those was loaded with cream cheese, so I wouldn't be partaking (I despise cream cheese with a fiery passion). However, it put me in the mood for cinnamon rolls.

Then I remembered cinnamon rolls are a yeast dough, which meant that my cinnamon rolls would be ready in three or four hours. So I nixed that idea, but stumbled on a brilliant one:

Crêpes.

I've only ever made crêpes with a crêpe-maker, and the only recipe I had on hand was the Better Homes and Gardens one (ie not French), so it took a bit of tweaking. But it did work eventually, and they turned out wonderfully:



Crêpes
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup flour
2 Tbs oil
1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a bowl with a wire whisk. Grease a 6"-8" skillet (measuring the diameter of the flat bottom part!), and heat on medium-high heat. I had a 5" and a 7" skillet, so I used a 7". If desired, you can put a tablespoon of butter on the skillet and melt it, but I found it messed with the cooking process. Add about 1/4 cup of batter to the skillet (use less for a smaller skillet, more for a larger one), adding it first in the middle, then swirling outward. Swirl the pan to get the batter to coat the entire bottom (it's going to be thin). Cook until the edges are dry and the very ends of the edges are browned (the bottom should be browned as well). Remove from skillet onto paper towel (READ: DO NOT FLIP!). I put a small piece of paper towel in between each as I stacked, but you don't have to.

Fill with whatever you want. For these, I did some with Nutella and strawberries, plain yogurt and mixed berries, and Nutella and peanut butter. I also am a fan of Nutella and bananas, but we didn't have any bananas. You can make them savory with a seafood or veggie filling, or dessert with ice cream, chocolate, and whipped cream. Just make sure to top any sweet ones with powdered sugar.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd appreciate it if you'd leave a comment with the Name/URL setting rather than anonymous - thanks!