Old Family Recipes are the Best Kind

So, a few days ago on Ravelry - the HPKCHC Hufflepuff UnCommon Room, to be exact - a discussion evolved that was centered around oatmeal raisin cookies. It went on for a few pages, and it became a mini-joke to ask the new firsties about their stand on oatmeal raisin cookies (the sorting was right after the conversation). It took a day or two, but that conversation started me craving oatmeal raisin cookies. FOR DAYS. This was mainly due to the fact that I didn't actually have time to make them, as I had more imporant things to do such as homework and staving off total and complete annihilation in the MSC tank.

So, yesterday being Friday, and therefore not requiring any homework to be done, I made oatmeal raisin cookies. But not just any oatmeal raisin cookies: I made my Great-Great Grandma Heinrich's oatmeal raisin cookies. These cookies are ridiculously fabulous. They're my grandpa's favorite cookie, which is really saying something. My grandpa is one of the biggest chocoholics on either side of my family - it's one of his four food groups (the others being ketchup, gravy, and dill-pickle ice cream). For him to have a non-chocolate cookie to be his absolute favorite, well, it's got to be good.

And I'm going to share it with you.



Oatmeal Cookies 
From Great-Great Grandma Heinrich to Great-Great Aunt Ida to Great-Great Grandma Miller circa 1912
With additional instructions and clarifications by Sarah Miller, 2011

3/4 cup margarine or softened butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 cup quick oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp mace
1/2 cup raisins

Note: If you don't have mace (I think it's one of those spices that used to be a staple in spice cabinets, but has since fallen out of use), you can use allspice or cloves instead. I used cloves in this batch.

Cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs. In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients save the raisins. Add the mixed dry ingredients to the wet, and mix well - until you get a standard cookie dough consistency. Mix in raisins. Chill for 30 mins.

While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350F. After the dough is done, drop by teaspoon-full onto an ungreased cookie sheet, spaced about 1.5"-2" apart. Bake for 10-12 mins. I like a softer cookie, so what I do is bake for 8 mins, switch the racks, bake for another min, then take them out at let them cool on the hot cookie sheet, completing the baking process. The bottoms should be a [very] light brown.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd appreciate it if you'd leave a comment with the Name/URL setting rather than anonymous - thanks!